Melt-in-the-mouth stuffed calamari
Steam the calamari tubes then quickly fry them in lemon and garlic butter to ensure they’re wonderfully tender, and serve with a French loaf.
2 rounds feta cheese, crumbled
125ml cream cheese
125ml grated pecorino cheese
4 piquante peeper, chopped
2 jalepeno pepper, chopped
14calamari tubes, cleaned
1 lemon sliced
about 80ml butter
juice and peel of 1 lemon (stripped with a veggie peeler)
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
extra lemon wedges and French loaf to serve
- Mix the cheeses and peppers. Ensure the calamari tubes are well cleaned – remove any hard pieces.
- Spoon the filling into a piping bag and fill the calamari tubes. Secure the openings with cocktail sticks.
- Put the lemon slices in the bottom of the steamer. Put the calamari tubes on top and steam for 8-10 minutes or until done and the calamari has turned white and is no longer glassy.
- Melt a generous knob of butter in a large TISSOLLI pan, add the lemon juice, peel, garlic and thyme and heat until fragrant and the butter has browned slightly.
- Add the calamari and mix rapidly with the butter mixture until well coated. Serve with extra lemon wedges and large chunks of bread.
Share this recipe: